A UCInetID and password is required to use WebReg. You may activate your UCInetID through the Office of Information Technology Website (OIT).

University offices and faculty use email to communicate with students. This is frequently the preferred means to communicate official notices regarding students status and important class information.

Remember to check your email daily as your mailbox can fill quickly during the first two weeks of a quarter. A full mailbox will prevent the delivery of new messages.

You may set a delivery point that is different than your UCI email so that you do not miss important announcements.


Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, Cambridge Advanced Level Examination Credit
Advanced Placement (AP). Students who earn scores of 3, 4, or 5 on the College Board AP examinations will receive credit toward graduation at UCI. The unit and subject credit allowed toward degree requirements assigned to each test are shown in the accompanying chart.

International Baccalaureate (IB). Students completing the IB diploma with a score of 30 or above will receive 30 quarter units (20 semester units) total toward their UC undergraduate degree. The University grants 8 quarter units (51/3 semester units) credit for certified IB Higher Level examinations on which a student scores 5, 6, or 7. The University does not grant credit for Standard Level examinations. Some higher-level examinations may be used to fulfill course requirements in lower-division major or general education requirements.

Duplicate Credit. Students should be aware that AP examinations, IB examinations, and college courses taken prior to or after enrolling at the university may be duplicative. In these cases, the university will award credit for only one of these. Students cannot earn units or grade points at UCI in courses from which they have been exempted on the basis of AP or IB credit. Students who elect to enroll in courses for which they have already received AP or IB credit will have those courses specially coded on their transcript without unit or grade credit. However, some examinations exempt the student from a greater number of UCI units than the number of AP or IB units earned. In such cases, the student may elect to take the final course in the series for credit.

Can I take classes at a community college?
Students enrolled at UCI may take ONLY UCI courses in satisfaction of the lower-division and upper-division writing requirements. Continuing UCI Students may not take summer courses at another institution to satisfy lower-division or upper-division writing requirements. However, you may elect to take courses to fulfill some or all of your general education requirements or elective units. Visit http://www.assist.org to find out what courses are transferable to UCI and/or satisfy UCI’s General Education Requirements.

Some important things to remember if you are planning on taking courses at a community college: (1) Your GPA for courses taken at a community college does not transfer. (2) You are responsible for knowing if you have already taken a course either at UCI or at another community college which is the same as the course you are planning on taking. You will not receive additional credit for the duplicate course.

If I Am U/U, Am I Going To Be Behind?
Not at all! Over 60% of students change their major within their first year to find a different passion. We help students find that passion through our various programs. Our students have successfully changed their majors into the most competitive majors on campus!

Unit Limits for Undergraduate Students (20 units v. 18 units)
As an undergraduate, you may enroll in as few as 12.0 units or as many as 20.0 units per quarter. However, undergraduate enrollment will be limited to 18.0 units until WebReg reopens after the fee payment deadline. Refer to the Quarterly Academic Calendar to view the date when the 18.0 unit limit is lifted to 20.0 units.

Prior to the lifting of the 18.0 unit limit, students must obtain the authorization of their dean if enrolling in more than 20 (20.1) units or enrolling in fewer than 12 units.

Students with an Undergraduate/Undeclared major require the approval of the Dean of the Division of Undergraduate Education.

The unit maximum includes units from classes you have waitlisted. Therefore, the total units combined between enrolled and waitlisted classes must not exceed the current limit of either 18 or 20 units.

Units from your waitlisted classes will not count toward the Minimum Required Units (MRU) for Financial Aid recipients. Units from your waitlisted classes will not be counted when verifying your total enrolled units because you are not officially enrolled in a waitlisted class.

The official Regulation 445 regarding the Enrollment Unit Limitation is available on the UCI Academic Senate Website.

Course Status
The status of a course indicates the seat availability in the particular course. The status may be found in the Status column of the Schedule of Classes (SOC). Listed below are the 4 possible course statuses and their definitions.

OPEN – Course has seats available

FULL – Course has no seats available; the waitlist has no seats available (if active).

WAIT – Course has no seats available; seats are available on the waitlist.

NEWONLY – The department that offers this course has reserved seats for new students. A New Student is a freshman or transfer student enrolling in their first term at UCI. The number of seats reserved for new students is indicated in the NOR (New Only Reserved) column of the Schedule of Classes.

Course Restriction Codes
Course restrictions are determined and placed by the department offering the course. When and if a restriction is removed, is also determined by the department offering the course. Therefore, courses may continue to be restricted throughout all enrollment periods.

Questions regarding restrictions codes placed on a course should be directed to the department offering the course.

Existing restriction are identified in the RSTR column of the Schedule of Classes (SOC). Refer to our list of Course Restriction Codes for detailed descriptions of the various restriction codes.

Enrollment Responsibility

You are responsible for your official enrollment: Remember to:

  1. Enroll in or add classes for which you expect to receive credit.
  2. Officially drop classes you have stopped attending.
  3. Verify your enrollment via WebReg, Student Access, or at the Registrar’s Office.

Enrollment Windows
An enrollment window is the period of time assigned to a student in which the student may enroll in classes.

Students enrolled in the current quarter are eligible for an enrollment window for the future quarter. For example, a student enrolled in the Fall Quarter is eligible to enroll for the Winter Quarter and will be assigned an enrollment window.

A student who is not enrolled or withdrew for the current quarter must apply for readmission to obtain an enrollment window for the future quarter. Readmission deadlines are set to ensure that a student can receive an enrollment window that opens with other students of the same class level.

Students who applied to graduate, but discover they still need to take classes should change their Application for Graduation in Student Access. If Student Access denies this action, contact your academic advising office.

Viewing the Date and Time of Your Enrollment Window

Use WebReg or Student Access to view your enrollment window.

You can view your enrollment window beginning Monday of the 7th week of instruction.


Standard Enrollment Windows

Following priority enrollment windows, students enroll based upon their class level in the following order:


New Freshmen (Winter and Spring Quarters Only)


Undergraduate class levels are determined by the student’s total number of completed units plus their current units. (Completed units include units from AP scores and units transferred from other institutions.)


Class Level     Units
Freshman      0-44.9
Sophomore    45.0-89.0
Junior             90.0.-134.9
Senior             135+

Within each class level, students are ranked in order of units earned to determine their individual enrollment windows. However, due to a large number of first-year students possessing the same amount of units, all first-year students are assigned enrollment windows within their class level. All first-year students have the equal probability of being assigned to any window within the freshmen enrollment period.


For the Fall Quarter, transfer students are assigned their enrollment window when their academic advisors authorize them to enroll. For students transferring in the Winter and Spring Quarters, an enrollment window is assigned to them within their class level.

New first-year students enroll for the Fall Quarter during their Student/Parent Orientation Program (SPOP).

All Windows Open

In general, all enrollment windows are open by Friday of the 10th week of instruction (last day of classes for the current quarter).


Opening of Enrollment Windows
WebReg registration begins each quarter on Monday of the 8th week of instruction. Windows open from 7 a.m. through 7 p.m. Pacific Time, Monday through Friday. Windows do not open on weekends nor on holidays.

Once an enrollment window opens, a student has 48 hours of full access before being restricted to non-primetime access (7 p.m. through 7 a.m.) while enrollment windows open for other students on the established priority basis.

If WebReg logs you out, your enrollment window has either not opened yet or your 48 hours of full access have passed. Upon logout, it will display the time and date of your enrollment window or instructions to try again during non-primetime hours.

Priority Enrollment Windows
Priority windows are approved by the council on Educational Policy for students meeting certain criteria. The order of these windows is numbered below:

  1. Disabled
  2. Academic Programs
    1. Regent Scholars
    2. Campus Wide Honors Program (CHP)
    3. Summer Bridge
  3. Athletes
  4. Military
    1. Veterans
    2. Active Duty
    3. Reservists
    4. Reserve Officer Training (ROTC)
  5. Foster Youth/Former Foster Youth


Enrolling in Courses
You may use WebReg to enroll in classes and make schedule changes during both the Enrollment by Window and Open Enrollment periods. Refer to in the Quarterly Academic Calendar to view these periods.

NOTE: After these periods, to add, drop, or change, you must submit an Enrollment Exception Request through the Applications section in Student Access. Add, drop, and change deadlines are available in the Quarterly Activity section of the Quarterly Academic Calendar.

WebReg is available from 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. daily, with occasional downtime for maintenance.

During the Enrollment by Window period, when your enrollment window opens, you have 48 hours of full access before you are restricted to non-prime time access (7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.), while other students’ enrollment windows open on an established priority basis.

Continuing Students: to find your enrollment window, visit Student Access beginning the seventh week of the current quarter.

Once logged into WebReg, you will be able to:

  • Add a class (through 2nd week of instruction)
  • Drop a class (through 2nd week of instruction)
  • Change the grading option of a class (though 2nd week of instruction)
  • Change the unit value of a variable unit course (through 2nd week of instruction)
  • Use the waitlist option until waitlists are deactivated
  • View co-classes
  • List the open sections of selected classes
  • Receive confirmation of successful enrollment transactions
  • Receive error messages for unsuccessful attempts to add, drop, or change enrollment
  • Be notified of any academic holds on your record
  • Verify your registration fee status


If the lecture class you are tentatively enrolled in requires a co-class during the same enrollment session, or you will be dropped from the tentatively enrolled section. If all discussions are full, no one will be allowed to enroll in or waitlist the lecture.

Add, Drop, Change Courses
Adds, drops, and changes are modifications made to your course enrollment. These modifications can be made via WebReg during the Enrollment by Window and Open Enrollment periods. Each modification type is subject to a specific deadline, as outlined below:

Add: This is used to enroll in classes or set additional classes to your schedule. Available through the end of the 2nd week of instruction.

Drop: This is used to remove classes from your schedule. Available through the end of the 2nd week of instruction.

Change: This is used to modify the number of units for variable unit classes, and/or exchanging between the grade option and pass/not pass (P/NP) option for any class that permits the option. Available through the end of the 2nd week of instruction.

Refer to our Quarterly Academic Calendar for all enrollment deadlines.

Beginning Monday for the 3rd week of instruction an Enrollment Exception is required to make any changes. Please visit our page of Enrollment Exceptions for details on petitioning for an Enrollment Exception to add, drop, or change.

The UC Irvine add, drop, change policy is governed by Regulation 440 of the Irvine Division of the Academic Senate.

Late Enrollment
You must enroll in classes before the end of the second week of instruction. You will be assessed a $50 late enrollment charge if you are enrolled in zero units or enroll after the end of the second week of instruction.

Failing to enroll in classes by the end of the third week of instruction will cause you to lose your student status.

Loss of Student Status
The final deadline for paying tuition and fees late and/or enrolling late is Friday, 4:30 p.m. at the end of third week of instruction. Failing to pay tuition and fees and enroll by this final deadline will result in the loss of student status.

Academic Holds
Academic or administrative departments may place an academic hold on a student’s record which will restrict the student from performing certain actions until the hold is resolved and removed. Depending on the type of hold, this may prevent the student from receiving an enrollment window, enrolling in courses, paying tuition and fees, ordering transcripts and verifications, etc. The following table lists the different hold types and the restrictions they impose.

If you have an academic hold on your record, immediately contact the office that placed the hold.

Classes are dropped if a hold remains on your record at 5:00 p.m. on the fee payment deadline.

Resolving a Hold on Your Record
To resolve a hold on your record, you must contact the department that placed the hold to discuss the conditions of its removal. If you are a current student, sign in to Student Access. Once logged in, you will see a message in red indicating the hold on your account. Click on the red message to view the department that placed the hold.

If you are not a current student, contact the University Registrar who will direct you to the appropriate office to resolve the hold.

A list of Academic Advising Offices is available with contact information for various academic departments. If the hold on your record was placed by an administrative department, refer to the campus directory for contact information.

Classes Dropped Due to a Hold on Your Record?
A hold that remains on your record at the Fee Payment Deadline will result in being dropped from all of your classes. If you have a TYPE 2, 3, 4 or 6 hold, you will only be able to re-enroll in classes when the hold is removed.

Where can I get the dean’s signature?
The dean’s signature is required on many forms issued by the university. Undergraduate/Undeclared students may go to the Undergraduate/Undeclared Advising office in 256 Aldrich Hall to get the dean’s signature.

When can I take courses for P/NP?
The P/NP option is a grading option in which letter grades are not assigned. A student in good standing may take up to an average of four units per quarter, per year, on a P/NP basis. For example, you make take up to four units for P/NP for fall quarter, up to eight units for P/NP for winter quarter if you do not take any units for P/NP for fall quarter, or up to 12 units for P/NP for spring quarter if you do not take any units for P/NP for fall or winter quarter.

In addition, students may count a total of 12 units of courses designated “P/NP only” towards their graduation requirements.

A student who earns a grade of “C” or better will have a P/NP grade recorded as “P” and course and unit credit will be noted on a students transcripts. If the student earns a grade of “C-” or below, the grade will be recorded as a “NP” and no unit credit will be received for the course. In both cases, courses graded P/NP are not included on a transcript in grade point average calculations.

Courses taken under the P/NP option may count toward the unit requirement for the bachelor’s degree and toward the general education requirements. With the exception of courses designated “P/NP only”, courses taken P/NP may not be used to satisfy specific course requirements of the student’s school and major, or possible school and major, unless authorized by the appropriate dean. No more than two courses applied to a minor may be taken P/NP.

A student on academic probation may not enroll in a course with the P/NP option unless the course is offered on that basis only and if approved by the school.

How can I take more than 20 units?

Freshmen entering their first quarter at UCI may not enroll in more than 20 units.

After the first quarter, an Undergraduate/Undeclared student with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher may request an excess unit petition per this link. 

How do I determine my class level?
Undergraduate students are classified as freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior students, based on the total number of units completed, as follows:

Freshman = 0 – 44.9
Sophomore = 45.0 – 89.9
Junior = 90.0 – 134.9
Senior = 135+

What is the Dean’s Honor List?
Quarterly undergraduate honors are awarded to students who achieve a quarterly grade point average of 3.5 or better in a minimum of 12 graded units.

What does a “W” on my transcript mean?
A “W”, or withdrawal, grade is recorded on a student’s permanent record for each course dropped after the end of the sixth week of instruction in a quarter. Courses in which a “W” has been entered on a student’s record carry no grade points, are not calculated in the grade point average, and will not be considered as courses attempted in assessing the student’s satisfaction of the normal progress requirement. Nevertheless, it is a marker used to indicate that the student was enrolled in the class beyond the sixth week of instruction. It does not indicate whether the student was passing or failing. It is not advisable to accumulate many “W”s on your transcript.

What does an “I” on my transcript mean?
An “I”, or incomplete, grade is assigned to a student by an instructor when the student’s work is of passing quality but is incomplete because of circumstances beyond the student’s control (death in the family, serious illness or injury, etc.), and when the student has been temporarily excused by the instructor from completing the quarter’s work.

Currently enrolled students assigned an “I” grade must complete the course work within the period set by the instructor, or within 12 months following the quarter in which the grade Incomplete was originally awarded, or prior to the end of the quarter immediately preceding award of the degree, whichever comes first. After this time period passes, the “I” grade can no longer be replaced and will become an “F”. The instructor is not obligated to allow the maximum 12 month period. The student should consult with the instructor to determine how the incomplete may be made up. It is strongly recommended that the student and the instructor prepare a written agreement specifying how the incomplete can be made up and the deadline for doing so. Once the work is completed within the time agreed upon by the instructor, the student should ask the instructor to submit an Academic Record Change Request to the academic counseling office of the school in which the course was offered. The student should not reenroll in the course to make up the incomplete.

Courses graded “I” carry no grade points and are not included in the computation of the grade point average which appears on the student’s permanent record.

What does an “NR” on my transcript mean?
An “NR”, or no report, is given when an instructor does not submit final grades for a class or individual grades for students whose names appear on the official class roster. A student who receives an “NR” must immediately contact the instructor and arrange for the removal or replacement of the “NR”. An “NR” becomes an “F” or “NP” after one-quarter of subsequent enrollment or at the end of the quarter immediately preceding award of the degree, whichever comes first. The instructor may replace an “NR” with a grade within one-quarter of subsequent enrollment or may authorize the student to drop the class, which would result in the “NR” becoming a “W”. “NR” transcript notations are not included in computations of the grade point average and do not contribute to the number of quarter units completed.

What does a “UR” on my transcript mean?
A “UR”, or unauthorized repeat, notation is recorded for the grade when a student already has a passing grade for a non-repeatable course and has taken it again, or where a student has earned credit for a course through Advance Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), or Cambridge Advanced Level exam.

When can I repeat a course?
Repetition of courses by undergraduate students not authorized to be taken more than once for credit is subject to the following provisions. Undergraduates may repeat courses only when grades of “C-“, “D+”, “D”, “D-“, “F”, or “NP” were received. Unit credit for courses so repeated will be given only once, but the grade assigned at each enrollment shall be permanently recorded. In computing the grade point average of an undergraduate with repeated courses in which a “C-“, “D+”, “D”, “D-“, “F”, or “NP” (if repeated for a letter grade) was received, only the most recently received grades and grade points shall be used for the first 16 units repeated. In case of further repetitions, the grade point average shall be based on all additional grades assigned.

All courses which were originally taken for a letter grade must be repeated for a letter grade.
Courses originally taken on a P/NP basis may be repeated for a P/NP or for a letter grade if the course is so offered.

What is academic probation? What is disqualification?
A student is subject to academic probation if the grade point average at the end of any quarter, or the cumulative grade point average, is less than 2.0.

A student whose grade point average falls below a 1.5 for any quarter, or who after two consecutive quarters on academic probation has not achieved a cumulative grade point average of 2.0, is subject to disqualification.

Students will also become subject to academic probation or to disqualification from further registration if they fail to make normal unit progress towards a baccalaureate degree, if they fail to declare a major by the time they reach junior status (90 units excluding college work completed prior to high school graduation), or if they fail to follow the program of study required by the academic unit of their major.

Note that academic probation is not a necessary step before disqualification.

I’m a student-athlete. Where can I get and complete an academic planning guide?
Student-athletes are mandated to complete an academic planning guide for each quarter of enrollment. You may obtain an academic planning guide from our office in 256 Aldrich Hall. Complete your contact information and your current schedule on the academic planning guide. Afterward, an academic counselor, if available, will review your academic planning guide and, if acceptable, sign it. You will then need to return the academic planning guide to Intercollegiate Athletics.

Note that you may not submit an academic planning guide to an academic counselor for approval until your quarterly schedule is final.

Student-athletes are mandated to complete an academic planning guide for each quarter of enrollment. You may obtain an academic planning guide from our office in 256 Aldrich Hall. Complete your contact information and your current schedule on the academic planning guide. Afterward, an academic counselor, if available, will review your academic planning guide and, if acceptable, sign it. You will then need to return the academic planning guide to Intercollegiate Athletics.

Note that you may not submit an academic planning guide to an academic counselor for approval until your quarterly schedule is final.

How do I declare a major?
Once you have begun course work at UCI, you will need to meet the major’s change of major criteria before you can declare or change your major. The change of major criteria for all majors can be found at http://www.changeofmajor.uci.edu  Once you have completed the criteria, you may submit a Change of Major request via the Change of Major Application on Student Access. If your request is approved, it is sent to the Office of the Registrar, where your academic record is updated to reflect the change.

How do I declare a minor?
Most academic units do not require you to declare a minor. However, you may be asked to fill out an intent to pursue form.

You may ask an academic counselor to post the minor to your degree audit to show your progress in the minor.

Note that some minors, including, but not limited to, Management, Accounting, and Digital Arts, limit the number of students that are accepted into the minor, or require periodic updates regarding progress in the minor.