University Studies 1
The changes you will experience as a first-year student can be difficult, confusing, and even overwhelming. Luckily, there is a course designed especially for you so that you don’t have to face these challenges alone.
The goal of University Studies 1 is to help you make a smooth transition to UCI by providing you with important information that will serve as a foundation for success not only for your first quarter, but for your entire four years and beyond. We will provide you with the necessary tools and knowledge to navigate the research university, acquaint you with various campus resources, and discuss strategies that will help you to achieve your academic goals.
If you have asked yourself any of the following questions, this course will answer them:
- What majors does UCI have to offer, and how do I declare a major?
- How can I double major and/or minor?
- What requirements do I need to satisfy in order to graduate?
- How can I effectively manage my time and assignments?
- Which campus resources can I use to help me ace my courses?
- How can I study abroad, participate in research, and write a resume?
- How can I get involved on campus?
Discussion sections for this course are personal, interactive, and engaging. You will have the opportunity to network with other first-year students in a small classroom setting, led by your Discussion Leader. Discussion Leaders—upper division junior and senior students—serve as both teaching assistants and your own personal mentors. You can rest assured knowing you have an upperclassman who was once in your shoes to support you, share his or her personal student experiences with you, and alleviate any feelings of distress